Honorees include business leader, alumni
The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (UAPB) will host the Chancellor’s Scholarship Gala Saturday, April 27, at the Pine Bluff Country Club. With Waste Management as the title sponsor, the black-tie event will begin with a reception and art auction at 6:00 p.m. followed by a dinner and program at 7:00 p.m. Proceeds from the event will benefit scholarships at UAPB.
For the past 30 years, the institution has recognized outstanding individuals who have made a significant contribution to advancing positive change at UAPB, in their communities, the state of Arkansas, and the nation. The 2019 honorees are:
Bunia Baxter – retired teacher – delighted in educating elementary students for 40 years, teaching in various school districts and ultimately retiring from Dollarway in 1987. An active member of St. John AME Church of Pine Bluff, AR, Baxter is the only one among her siblings to earn a Bachelor of Science from Arkansas Agricultural, Mechanical and Normal College (AM&N) in 1948 and Masters degree from the University of Arkansas in 1966. Baxter is a member and supporter of the Jefferson County chapter of the UAPB/AM&N Alumni Association National Teacher’s Association. She along with members of the class of 1948 have donated over $100,000 to the institution, having recently presented a check for $41,165 during their 70th reunion last year. A 2018 UAPB AM&N Alumni Hall of Fame inductee, she co-founded “Traveling Friends”, a social traveling group of retired educators. They have since traveled to; 6 continents, Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia North and South America, countless other countries, cities and all 50 states.
Marty Casteel – Senior Executive Vice President, Simmons First National Corporation – was on the brink of going to work for Procter & Gamble in 1978 after completing a four-year stint in the Army. Instead, he was presented with an opportunity that provided the gateway to a 40-year career in the financial industry. What began with his decision to join First Federal Savings & Loan in Hope culminated in his 2013 appointment as leader of the $16.5 billion-assets that comprise Simmons Bank of Pine Bluff. Among his current civic posts, Casteel serves on the board of directors of Pine Bluff’s Jefferson Regional Medical Center and the Economic Development Alliance of Jefferson County. A 1974 graduate of the University of Arkansas with a bachelor’s degree in marketing, his volunteerism includes the UAPB board of visitors and Pulaski County Habitat for Humanity.
Dr. Christy Walker started her private practice in Pine Bluff, Arkansas in 2006 and specializes in obstetrics and gynecology. She also serves as a member of the faculty for Pine Bluff Area Health Education Center, along with numerous other boards and committees. A UAPB alumnus, Dr. Walker is a member of the America College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American Medical Association, the Arkansas Medical Society, the Arkansas Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical Association, the South Arkansas Medical Network and the International Society of Cosmetology and Gynecology.
Dr. Torrance Walker opened his private practice in Pine Bluff, Arkansas in 2007. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the National Medical Association, the American Medical Association, the Arkansas Orthopaedic Society, the Arkansas Medical Society, the Southeast Arkansas Medical Association and Arkansas Medical, Dental & Pharmaceutical Association. Dr. Walker also serves as the team physician for a local college and several high schools. Dr. Walker completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery in Little Rock, Arkansas. A UAPB alumnus, he received his degree in medicine in Orthopaedic Surgery from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. He is married to Christy W. Walker, MD, who specializes in obstetrics and gynecology. They are the proud parents of two children.
Tickets for the benefit are $200 per person and may be purchased in the Development Office, located in Childress Hall on the UAPB campus, by phone at (870) 575-8701 or (870) 575-8703. Because seating is limited, early purchase is encouraged.
Corporate/group/individual sponsorships are available at the following levels:
- Presenting ($7,500) – stage presence during the gala program; reserved seating at the dinner for ten (10); recognition and logo in the gala slideshow; full page, full color ad in the gala program; and inclusion in the sponsor list.
- Diamond ($5,000) – reserved seating at the dinner for ten (10); recognition and logo in the gala slideshow; full page, full color ad in the gala program; and inclusion in the sponsor list.
- Platinum ($3,500) – reserved seating at the dinner for eight (8); recognition and logo in the gala slideshow; full page, full color ad in the gala program; and inclusion in the sponsor list.
- Gold ($2,500) – reserved seating at the reception and awards program for six (6); recognition and logo in the event slideshow; half page, full color ad in the event program; inclusion in the sponsor list; and two (2) reserved parking spaces.
- Silver ($1,500) – reserved seating at the dinner for four (4); recognition and logo in the gala slide show; half-page, full color ad in the gala program; and inclusion in the sponsor list.
- Bronze ($750) – reserved seating at the dinner for two (2); recognition and logo in the gala slideshow; and half page, full color ad in the gala program.
Please make checks payable to: UAPB Foundation Fund; Chancellor’s Scholarship Gala; University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff; 1200 N. University Drive, Mail Slot 4981; Pine Bluff, AR 71601.
For more information about the event, call (870) 575-8701.