Baked apples and sweet potatoes make for a perfect, seasonal side dish for winter meals, Easter H. Tucker, interim family and consumer sciences program leader for the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, said.
“Layer sweet potatoes and apples in a casserole dish to make this sweet and satisfying hot side dish from the USDA Mixing Bowl,” she said.
5 sweet potatoes (cooked)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup margarine
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup hot water
2 tablespoons honey
- Boil 5 sweet potatoes in water until they are almost tender.
- After the sweet potatoes cool, peel and slice them.
- Peel the apples. Remove the cores and slice them.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease the casserole dish with butter or margarine.
- Put a layer of sweet potatoes on the bottom of the dish.
- Add a layer of apple slices.
- Add some sugar, salt and tiny pieces of margarine to the apple layer.
- Repeat steps 6, 7 and 8 to make more layers of sweet potatoes, apples and sugar/salt.
- On the top layer of apples, sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar and margarine pieces.
- Sprinkle the top layer with nutmeg.
- Mix the hot water and honey together. Pour the mix over the top layer.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until apples are tender.
Source: USDA Mixing Bowl