Canned vegetables can be a convenient and cheap component of a healthy diet, Easter H. Tucker, interim family and consumer sciences program leader for the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, said.
“With this in mind, when you’re wanting to make a wholesome meal, look no further than this USDA Mixing Bowl recipe for beef and vegetable soup,” she said. “This delicious soup features carrots, green beans, stewed tomatoes and canned beef broth.”
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can low sodium beef broth (14.5-ounce can)
1 can sliced carrots, drained (14.5-ounce can)
1 can no salt added cut green beans (14.5-ounce can)
1 can no salt added stewed tomatoes (14.5-ounce can)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup cooked egg noodles
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, cook ground beef in hot oil until well browned on all sides, stirring frequently.
- With slotted spoon, remove beef to bowl. Cook onion and garlic in the remaining drippings in saucepan over medium heat until tender-crisp.
- Add beef broth, carrots, green beans, stewed tomatoes, basil and ground beef over high heat. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cooked egg noodles.
Source: USDA Mixing Bowl