As the school year comes to an end, parents can treat their children – as well as themselves – to a wholesome take on the classic American pancake, says Easter H. Tucker, interim family and consumer sciences program leader for the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. The USDA Mixing Bowl recipe for strawberry pancakes calls for whole wheat flour, which adds a nutty flavor and texture to complement the flavor of the berries.
“Serve these delicious pancakes with fresh, sliced strawberries,” she said. “Using low-fat strawberry yogurt to top the pancakes is a tasty and healthy alternative to syrup.”
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 container vanilla low-fat yogurt (6 ounces)
3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 3/4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 container strawberry low-fat yogurt (6 ounces)
- Heat a griddle to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Grease with canola oil if necessary or spray with cooking spray before heating.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, vanilla yogurt, water and oil with an egg beater or wire whisk until well blended.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture all at once; stir until moistened.
- For each pancake, pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter from a cup or pitcher onto the hot griddle. Cook pancakes 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbly on top and puffed and dry around the edges. Turn and cook the other sides 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top each serving (2 pancakes) with 1/4 cup sliced strawberries and 1 to 2 tablespoons of strawberry yogurt.
The “Grain Chain,” a group of MyPlate National Strategic Partners committed to promoting and supporting grains, offers a series of recipes featuring whole grains. Members include American Bakers Association, Wheat Food Council, Grains Food Foundation, National Pasta Association, USA Rice Federation, General Mills and Kellogg’s.
Source: USDA Mixing Bowl