PINE BLUFF, Ark. – John H. House, Arkansas Archeological Survey Station Archeologist at University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff recently made a presentation titled, “The View from Wallace Bottom,” at the Quapaw History Conference sponsored by the Quapaw Tribe of Oklahoma.
The conference brought together Tribal members, historians, and archaeologists to share information on the history of the Quapaw Tribe from the colonial era through the twentieth century. When they were first contacted by French explorers and missionaries in the late 1673, the Quapaws were the dominant Native American presence in the area of the Mississippi and Arkansas rivers confluence. With the establishment of Arkansas Post in 1686, the Quapaws became allies of the French and later the Spanish and were steadfast protectors of the Louisiana Colony. The Quapaw reservation established by treaty with the United States in 1818 included what is now the city of Pine Bluff. The Quapaws were removed from Arkansas to Oklahoma under subsequent treaties in the early 1800s.
The state of Arkansas receives its name from the Quapaw people who were known to the French and Spanish by that name. The Wallace Bottom archaeological site in White River National Wildlife Refuge in Arkansas County is believed to be the location of the Quapaw village of Osotouy occupied in the late 1600s.
For more information, contact John H. House at (870) 535-450 or firstname.lastname@example.org .